Red Hat purchased Gluster to enhance its open source technology and also bought Gluster FS file system too accommodates SATA drives and NAS systems for massive storages. The same method is planned to be applied on Linux Mint to make it dominant desktop software.
Inside Red Hat’s Think Tank:
- Whitehurst of Red Hat told that the world of software storage market enables the companies to generate revenue of $4 billion per year.
- However, the generation of this much big revenue is not the reason for investing in software market. The company was more interested in establishing software storage house that would enable the users to store a massive data and also ensure the migration of clouds easy.
- “We look for places where open source would be particularly powerful as a way to innovate, and we look for areas in the stack where we think we can monetize,” he said. “There are not other solutions like that out there.”
The software Gluster has seen many momentums of ups and downs in terms of testing and administrators downloading. Sometimes the success went about to hit the skies and on other times, the graph went weaker day by day. However, along with the usage of computers more and the arrival of social networking sites, Gluster became highly appreciated software.
- Now the software enjoys a considerable rise in its performance and acceptance every year.
- Last year a rise of 300 percent was seen which is a remarkable success.
- The reports of November tell that the software as downloaded over 37,000 times in November only.
Red Hat plans depict its aims to revolutionize the skies of storage software as it did for the Unix-based OSes. 2012 is considered to be the earth-shaking year for Gluster.