Though open source users have widely increased in number in last years, still Linux has never gained a considerable position in computer world. However, generally it is found that Linux has been a user-friendly in one form or other, specifically as a reciprocal of Microsoft Windows. The competitor Canonical’s Ubuntu has displaced Linux importance however; Linux Mint is expected to beat the competition as it is easy to use.
Emergence and Primary Importance of Linux:
- Clement Lefebvre, a software engineer, researched the production and success rate of Linux and then created Linux Mint which is expected to have features that are far better than other Linux services.
- He also focused on the distribution of Linux Mint to have ideal success report. He used Ubuntu as a foundation for Linux Mint distribution.
- Now it is aided by donations, generates revenue from its website advertising and income that is generated from user searches.
- The design of Linux Mint specially targets those who are satisfied with desktop OS and do not want further learning of Linux.
- The approach of Linux Mint makes it easy to handle and use and flexible maintenance.
- New features are not introduced as Lefebvre wants the software to be accepted as trustworthy and then the introduction of new features will be considered.
- Ubuntu has adopted unity desktop interface to provide access to mobile desktops too. Whereas Mint has stuck t Gnome interfaces only.
Present vs. Future:
- The Linux Mint project declare it to be the forth most used desktop worldwide. The other three are Apple, Windows and Ubuntu.
- During last year, Mint has successfully left Ubuntu behind as the distribution that ensures most page views.
- 2012 is expected to be the lucky year for Linux Mint.